Printer Friendly Version
February 17, 2014
10 am to 4 pm
FREE - No registration required!
|Penitentiary Glen Reservation
8668 Kirtland-Chardon Rd
Kirtland, OH 44094
Discover nature and have fun with it…naturally!
Looking for a free fun family experience on Presidents'. Day? Stop by the Penitentiary Glen Nature Center anytime between 10 am and 4 pm to discover nature and have fun doing it! Enjoy scavenger hunts, seasonal craft, outdoor x-plorer packs, hiking, hands on exhibits, the Wildlife Center, live animals and more. Our naturalists will be on-hand to answer all of your nature related questions and to help guide you through the day. Snowshoe rentals will be available (weather permitting, includes small fee)
This event is free and all ages are welcome. No registration is required.
Nature Center and Wildlife Center hours: 9 am to 5 pm
The idea of the Bird-in-Hand project is to “become one with nature". Stand silent and still while waiting with an outstretched hand filled with birdseed for a bird to come and sit on the hand (most likely a chickadee or titmouse).
Visitors are invited to participate in this free activity!
- Stop at the Penitentiary Glen Nature Center front desk and receive
a capful of seed and more detailed instructions.
- Those wishing to participate need
to come dressed for the weather and be prepared to be thrilled!
- The average wait time for a bird to take a seed from an outstretched hand is about 8-10 minutes (if motion and silence is maintained).
More free hands-on activities
- Bird Bingo
- Backyard Bird Count
- Face painting
- Simple to complete nature craft
- Indoor scavenger hunt
- Outdoor Quest
- A campfire complete with s’mores
- X-Plorer packs filled with hands-on activities
- Discover the sights and sounds of wildlife at the interactive Nature Calls exhibit.
- Watch and listen to birds and other wildlife through the Window on Wildlife.
- Visit the Kevin P. Clinton Wildlife Center, where injured or orphaned native Ohio wildlife including hawks, owls and a bald eagle are housed for rehabilitation and care. See our wildlife ambassadors in the Wildlife Center Yard.
- Take a hike on more than 8.5 miles of trails
- Browse our selection of unique gift items in The Nature Store including “fun” nature-related toys, educational items and rocks & minerals, books and field guides for adults and children, nature-inspired t-shirts, binoculars by VORTEX, and bird feeders and wildlife houses.
Take I-90 to Rt. 306 south for about one mile. Turn left onto Rt. 615. Turn right (east) onto Kirtland-Chardon Road and continue for two miles. Penitentiary Glen Reservation is located on the right (south) side of the road.
Discount Drug Mart
More Lake Metroparks events